Mr. Mess in a cool collar
When the temperatures approach 100 and the sidewalks burn bare feet, it is time to help your dog beat the heat with a cool collar! Concerned that my dogs are getting too hot, I designed collars that can be filled with ice and worn to diminish their discomfort. Each dog has two sets; one for while we are walking and another for once we get home. The following instructions are for larger Labrador-sized dogs, like Mhina. This super-fast project is fun and make nice gifts.
What You'll Need: Velcro, Lighter or match, Pretty fabric 16" x 6", 1" Parachute Buckle, 12" nylon webbing cut in half, Ice or cooler pack.
How to make it:
1) Cut the 12" nylon webbing in half. The nylon will start fraying. To seal the nylon, bring the lighter or lit match close enough to the webbing so it melts. You won't actually have to touch the fire to the webbing. Allow the strip a few seconds to cool. Repeat with the other piece of webbing.
2) Right side facing up, lay one of the nylon strips on the short end of the pretty fabric parallel to the long side of the fabric 1 1/4" from the corner. Sew a small square on the webbing fastening the fabric down on the end.
3) Thread the nylon strip through the clasp Fold the other strip of nylon webbing in half. Place it on the other short end of the pretty fabric opposite the first strip. Again, sew the strip down making sure it is secure on the pretty fabric.
4) Turn the short end of the pretty fabric down 1" on the side opposite the loop, so the long strip is sticking out.
5) Fold the pretty fabric in half lengthwise right sides together. The nylon loop is now sandwiched between the two layers. Stitch along the long side and the loop end.
6) Apply the velcro to the tabs on the inside of the opening. Handstitch around each of the edges of the velcro securing it to the pretty fabric. You are almost done!
7) Turn the tube inside out. Thread the unattached part of the closure to the long nylon strip.
8) Fill with ice. Put cool collar on your puppy dog!
Mrs. Mess also in a cool collar